« Home | Juggling with sex ratios » | Sweet November » | Ideology, Religion & Science » | Right or Wrong? » | India & Sports: a Good Joke? » | That Ever Lasting Smile » | WTF moments » | Murphy Meets Me » | How about a date with disorder ? » | Suddenly I find myself » 

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 

Thick Red Line

I was traveling on my way back to home on a cold Sunday night, which seems to be the new apparel of Chennai. I could smell global warning which has permeated us gradually but with a conscious undertaking. No wonder Thomas Friedman claimed, "The world is flat", I can see signs of "thanksgiving" in its own way by nature.

I was a pillion, as an equally lean friend of mine rode the bike on the roads of new Chennai, no cents for guessing, it was the Keelkatalai-Velachery road. I could sense the new epicenter of middleclass burgeoning out there, after they managed to topple bids of real estate prices with an irrational upward bias.

We had this aged, unsolved argument between us, how should one tradeoff one's freedom with the obligations which engulf him, leave alone whether we should tradeoff. I could recollect another conversation where one of friend told me that he would want to get settled in life by forty and then live the rest of his life following his passion. I don’t know what sense it makes to salvage one passion for the socially constructed obligations which can only give only leave dissonance and frustration till forty. Everybody wants to "achieve" success in his or her career to acquire a respectable economic & social status.

Continuing our bike journey, I quipped as to whether he would be free to follow his passion once he had achieved the "economic status" & family obligations. He was as confused with his predictions about such a state, as my were intensions to ask them. I defended as to how success in career along with choosing the career itself, the economic status and balancing out once freedom is a social construct. Most of us merely follow the norms of the society only to safeguard our acceptability, which is an outcome when we subscribe to them. May be I can even extend my argument that accepting conformability is social construct itself.

I really picked up this great line from a blog " hallucination is the best medicine”. I had my own deliberation. There are three states, we understand the social construct and follow our freedom although it could be following the social construct. Then there is this other state, we are "blessed" with ignorance about the construct in our lifetime, which leaves no dissonance but a latent obsession to accept fate.

The other state is that we really don’t know whether there is a construct but it keeps peeping in then and there, we decide to submit to the construct, to leave our freedom to take refuge in submissiveness. The outcome is quite evident we are face dissonance and we reflect the society rather than our freedom when we unconsciously want to liberate ourselves.

Labels:

Friedman's Flat world??
Check out
www.mkpress.com/flat
watch
www.mkpress.com/flatoverview.html

Best wishes,
--scottie

Road to find one's self is pretty much long But we all want to travel on it I guess. -Swarna

Freedom is also a measure development (borrowing from Amartya Sen). For instance, folks I see here (in the 'developed' world) have fewer constraints holding them back, in doing WHATEVER they want to do in their lives (whether its their passion, or traveling around the world...)

I tend to think the social constructs here are much more fluid and social norms don't hold anyone back. However, constraints also create social capital - which I see lacking a lot in this society (too many lonely, especially old people).

We need a balance, something to hold us back, which will also let us fly!

@Swarna
I cant agree more, it takes a long time to know oneself and even more time to understand what actually is our self

I think I know your friend who wanted to retire at 40 and lead his passion!!!

You have an obligation to your family, the society and the God for whate'r you've got from them and hence we don't deserve to seek freedom from them unless we fulfill all these obligations. (and there is no single thing through which you can fulfill your obligations to all the three and thats perhaps the reason why your friend wants to spend the first 40 years in serving the family and society [;)]

Rather the most important thing is to get freedome from oneself i.e. your intelligence should get freedom from your emotions (Illata 'Budhikku theriyudhu aana manasuku theriyala' apdinu dialogue dhaan adipa). The lack of freedom within self make us focus on one, seek another and attack the third one and we know that such an approach would never take us the road of victory.

So, in short, don't seek freedom from the society or family or god. Fulfill all your obligations towards them but at any point in time focus only on one thing, seek it and attack it. In that way you would also fulfill your obligations and would else emerge out as a winner.

Post a Comment

World as I Think is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health