« Home | WTF moments » | Murphy Meets Me » | How about a date with disorder ? » | Suddenly I find myself » | Your Attitude Sucks! » | Freaked by Free will » | What is a degree worth? » | Newyork Nagaram » | What is Normal? » | Deception & Dissonance » 

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 

That Ever Lasting Smile

There used to be a professor in my class who used to religiously ask this question before he starts his lecture “Are you Happy?".I always thought that it was not such an easy question that can be answered nor did it make prudence to self interrogate to ascertain the same. It is true that we can always distinguish the moment of happiness from other states although the source of happiness somewhat conjugates itself with fluid partners.

There is a guy who serves tea to us in our company, He does not serve the best of beverages although the monotony of the same composition might have lead me to this conclusion but there is something that I relish about him. He has this ability to judge the mood of people by looking at them. Last Wednesday, He suddenly put across this statement to me; he said "You look happy”. I was amused by this because it was the first time in a year that he had to say this to me although we shared a good rapport. I refuted "I am always like that”. He replied " May be you are more happy than what you were earlier”. I could not resist admitting it in private to myself. May be he is right, I could discern the change when I consciously evaluated it. It was the penultimate day, I had opened myself to one of my close chum about the worries that had promulgated my mind for sometime now. I was feeling better after I spoke out.Could be, that is what reflected in my attitude and happy feel factor somehow surfaced.

There is one important thing I had to concede, people who observe you would know if you are really happy. Now, that lead to "What is happiness?”. I came up with answers like smiling, pleasure, joy or feeling good. The more I got to scrutinize my answers; I realized that those were mere outcomes or synonyms to happiness. After some mind wars to reach consensus, I refined "Is happiness the state of feeling when one is satisfied when he gets what he wants?”.The want may be both tangible and intangible. Okay that a fair attempt but I wasn't completely convinced.

Maybe, happiness is the state of being oneself when somebody is satisfying his needs. I got to contemplate "Is happiness a balanced state when one is satisfied ". It couldn't be that way because in such a state of neutrality caused by satisfaction, we cannot enjoy happiness. I got to observe another thing the more we are conscious that we are happy, the state starts to sizzle away. The more we are conscious of having satisfied of our needs, we are not happy.Oops, then what the heck is this happiness, I know for sure that some damn thing happens when we are happy. Something ringed somewhere "Is happiness the state when we are unconscious of our needs in spite of our needs?". I really don’t know.

Labels:

have u heard the song sunscreen by baz luhrman? in that there is a line that says dont fiddle too much with ur hair coz by the time u are 40 ur hair might look like u are 80 years old.... i think a similar kinda adivce is applicable to happiness...just enjoy it lest u analyze and make it a not so happy moment :)


btw: its a lovely song...

very true.. there is no joy in thinking abt happiness because happiness is a feeling !!!..

"Happiness is not in things but in us". There was one poster which said so in our hostel and one of my friend was always into analyzing that. I remembered her when reading your pose.
Btw nice post.

there is no such thing as a satisfied state. when we r happy, we seldom realize it. when we r in a rut, we analyze. we assume that happiness is in itself a state of affairs. what we forget is that happiness is actualization of a state of affairs. actualization cant realized without analysis. when u let ur feelings out, there is merely a relief. when u know that u r relieved, u r happy.

happiness is when ur heart and mind smiles together in harmony. hope u r doing well.

Hmmm
I would would want to contemplate but would agree for now.

I am in the right state as the situation gives me

Post a Comment

World as I Think is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health