« Home | Women & Clothing » | 12 reasons why people leave a comment in a blog » | Inventing God » | Inspired by Jackal » | Not again !!! » | Trying to define » | When its a dead end » | Appendix to Crap » | When the herd thinks its smart » | Priorities in Life !! » 

Saturday, October 21, 2006 

Expecting too much?

Yesterday, I wanted to pay my Airtel DSL bill which was already five days past due. I initially searched for an option to pay it online and the web page flashed

"As a part of our continuous effort to enhance our services we are upgrading this site so Registration will be not available for Broadband and Telephone Services/DSL. Kindly call up our Call Centre (121) for any support"

It reminded me as how the message remained static although the calendar has moved by two months now. I murmured to myself as to what kind of customer service is this which does not allow me to pay online. Do they expect the customer to go all the way to their showroom and pay it? Fine, now that it’s already late I decided to pay it in a showroom.

I searched for a nearby Airtel payment centre and they had some obscure street name in T.Nagar. I grumbled again "Can't they have a map or at least link the place to Wikimap ?".I don't whether I was asking for too much, I felt it to be a definitive need to help the customer out.

I was already in an auto seeking the place. I was in for a surprise, the bill counter was completely devoid of people, and the only point of contention was that nobody was there to collect the bill. I inquired, the representative replied "The card payment system isn't working and you can pay cash there” pointing at a long que.I grunted again "What holy crap, What if I didn't have cash. Won’t they have a back up system or Business Continuity Plan (BCP)?”I stood in the queue for another 15 minutes till the collector lended his hand to collect my bill. She asked "DSL sir?”I said "Yes”. She said "We only collect mobile bills here and you need to pay the DSL bills in the center which is in the parallel street".

I almost lost my temper and didn't speak out. I blurted within me "What holy crap %#$%#$, the representative could have at least told me before I stood in the queue or at least they could have had a notice banner stating..".

The avalanche of grunting continued, the security in the other centre greeted me "Sir, the shop is closed and the bill collection is over" and it was equally acknowledged by the representative. This was it, I had reached the limit. I peaked with disdain “I have been roaming around this place for at least an hour now, what kind of customer service is this ...blah ... blah...”.The representative looked at the billing person, I payed the bill.I thanked the representative who offered a good smile to me.

As I left the showroom, I condemned my own act to show my temper to a person who can't come back at me, what a cowardly act. I found some respite contemplating the fact that the business world has evolved now, everybody is focusing on customer service levels and even setting standards of 6 sigma. I was happy that I had fought like a responsible customer for my own rights.

I even thought as to how the world was about a decade ago, we had to wait in a long queue for at least an hour to pay our bills. Customer service was like a taboo to the public sector. Now things have remarkably changed, people show courteousness to the customer and there are people to help you 24 x 7.

We always seek new limits as we move, we would not even compromise the erratum in the existing system which is far more superior in the erstwhile system which would have been experienced. The human mind can never be satiated... "Dil Mange More !!!". Now is it fair to contempt the existing system? What incase the latter system is better than the former system? Now, was I expecting too much in the name of progression?

Labels: , ,

yep i understand ur experience. i have been waiting for my mobile connection for 3 weeks , delay due to some verifications. none of the CE ever tell me the same thing. all lies. u should also include the tags airtel broadband which will make it more relevant.

kk

Post a Comment

World as I Think is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health